Subject: RE: bug#6689: 24.0.50; No primary selection

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:05:36 -0700

> This bug should now be fixed (revno 101080).

Thanks.

> If the cure turns out to be worse than the disease, please reopen this
> bug.  If, OTOH, there are other issues with selections and cut/paste
> on Windows due to the latest changes, please submit separate bug
> reports.

It's hard for me to know what behavior change is a bug and what is intentional,
and I might not be sure whether some behavior change is part of this bug or
another (new) one. But one way or the other I'll report what I find if I feel it
isn't right.

The behavior (on Windows) prior to Emacs 24 was a good one, IMO.  I hope that
any intentional change (for Windows) can be discussed, and that there will be no
unintentional changes when all is said and done. ;-)

I've tried to follow some of the discusson on emacs-devel, but it is not clear
to me what it might mean in practice. And I know that the current behavior
cannot be judged as the intended one, as others have mentioned (wait until the
wrinkles are ironed out). So I'll wait to see what develops.

I think (on Windows) the past interaction between mouse and keyboard and between
clipboard and kill ring was good. But I will wait to see what (intended) changes
are in store. At the moment it is not clear (to me) what the final behavior will
be.