Subject: bug#6689: 24.0.50; No primary selection

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:22:44 +0100

On 04/08/10 21:43, Drew Adams wrote:

 > I no longer have to do an explicit M-w after selecting with the
 > mouse, so that part has been fixed.

Hmm.

 > I hope all of these selection regressions will be fixed soon, so
 > I can start  using a recent Emacs build

It is easy to revert to the old settings, as you must have gathered by 
this stage.

 > However, I still cannot select text in one Emacs session and yank it
 > into another Emacs session.  E.g. select text with mouse in a buffer
 > in one session, and try to yank it using mouse-2 into a buffer of
 > another session.

If you want emacs to copy the mouse selection to the windows clipboard 
and emacs kill-ring, turn on mouse-drag-copy-region.

If you want emacs to insert the windows clipboard/kill-ring on mouse-2, 
do (global-set-key [mouse-2] 'mouse-yank-at-click)

I already suggested to make the latter a boolean customisation so
that it can be more easily reverted again than by doing that.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-07/msg01184.html

 > Eli has stated (IIUC)
 > that nothing should have been changed for Windows,

That is not necessarily true (unless you want emacs to continue to act 
weirdly on w32, and believe me I get that you yourself do want that).
I did respond to Eli on that point.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-07/msg01170.html