Subject: bug#66880: closed (Re: bug#66880: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Don't need text properties when sending a mail)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 08:44:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66880: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Don't need text properties when sending a mail

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66880: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66880
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66880: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Don't need text properties when sending a mail
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 10:42:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 14:03:41 +0100
> From:  Manuel Giraud via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> I don't think we need text properties when sending mail data.

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Don't need text properties when sending a mail
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 14:03:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I don't think we need text properties when sending mail data.
>From d7c7fd6a33f4f8b7e008d5e7e1f0f0ae832178c7 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 13:59:37 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Don't need text properties when sending a mail

* lisp/mail/smtpmail.el (smtpmail-send-data): Don't get text
properties when sending mail data.
---
 lisp/mail/smtpmail.el | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el b/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
index 78688d170cc..e30c69f2441 100644
--- a/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
+++ b/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
@@ -1057,8 +1057,8 @@ smtpmail-send-data
     (while data-continue
       (with-current-buffer buffer
         (progress-reporter-update pr (point))
-        (setq sending-data (buffer-substring (line-beginning-position)
-                                             (line-end-position)))
+        (setq sending-data (buffer-substring-no-properties (line-beginning-position)
+                                                           (line-end-position)))
 	(end-of-line 2)
         (setq data-continue (not (eobp))))
       (smtpmail-send-data-1 process sending-data))
-- 
2.42.0

Best regards,

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.4) of 2023-10-31
 built on computer
Repository revision: 5f371ca07be891cc41e8e80b8a1bc9ffcc909363
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101008
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.4 GENERIC.MP#0 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --with-x-toolkit=no
 --without-cairo --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-sound'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GLIB GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.4.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs-repo/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cus-start dictionary external-completion
dictionary-connection image-file image-converter image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util image-mode exif
nroff-mode vc-annotate ispell dabbrev pcmpl-git nnmaildir nnselect
gnus-search jka-compr flow-fill shortdoc comp comp-cstr warnings
mailalias smtpmail sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-bcklg
gnus-async qp gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104
nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss cl-print help-fns
radix-tree misearch multi-isearch whitespace vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn ffap tabify imenu man log-edit add-log smerge-mode diff pulse
view ef-cherie-theme vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util make-mode
bug-reference autorevert filenotify paredit vc-git vc-dir ewoc vc
mule-util on-screen eww url-queue mm-url gnus-dired vc-dispatcher vc-hg
diff-mode sh-script smie treesit executable time battery cus-load
exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb
exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types
xcb-debug server ef-summer-theme ef-themes modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes zone speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious
mingus libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace transmission color
calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi
ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb
mailabbrev eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase
timezone icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table
erlang-start smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep
slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt
slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode
use-package-core repeat easy-mmode savehist desktop frameset
debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads finder-inf
magit-section-autoloads nnreddit-autoloads json-rpc-autoloads
anaphora-autoloads on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads paredit-autoloads
request-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads speed-type-autoloads
transmission-autoloads virtualenvwrapper-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting xinput2 x multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1048174 576052) (symbols 48 56003 42)
 (strings 32 275950 32686) (string-bytes 1 20575665)
 (vectors 16 175097) (vector-slots 8 3105675 162211)
 (floats 8 837 5702) (intervals 56 39394 5403) (buffers 992 154))

-- 
Manuel Giraud