Subject: bug#6688: Acknowledgement (23.2; Auto-fill broken in C/C++ modes.)

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:34:35 +0000

And a jolly evening to you too, Martin!

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 07:50:58AM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:
> Morning, Alan

> > No, just compiling cc-cmds.el should do, since it's a "top level" file
> > which doesn't suply macros etc. to the rest of cc-*.el.

> OK.  So the warnings ...

Hey, stop turning up the guilt machine!  They suddenly "appeared" with
either Emacs 22 or Emacs 23 (I can't remember any more) because of more
rigorous checking by the byte compiler.

> In toplevel form:
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-langs.el:135:1:Warning: cl package required
>     at runtime

That's an awkward one.  I'm not sure I quite believe it, but I'm almost
sure.

> In c-before-change-check-<>-operators:
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-engine.el:5076:25:Warning: reference to 
> free
>     variable `c-new-BEG'
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-engine.el:5076:42:Warning: assignment to 
> free
>     variable `c-new-BEG'
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-engine.el:5079:42:Warning: reference to 
> free
>     variable `c-new-END'
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-engine.el:5079:42:Warning: assignment to 
> free
>     variable `c-new-END'

> In c-common-init:
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el:643:11:Warning: assignment to free
>     variable `c-new-BEG'
> C:/emacs/trunk/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el:644:11:Warning: assignment to free
>     variable `c-new-END'

These are working variables, properly declared "in the right place",
until I found I needed to use them in initialisation routines too.
There're quite a few variables like this.

> ... I currently see are due to something else.  How can I get rid of
> them?

Ask me nicely?  ;-)  They're the sort of problem which never seems high
priority to fix, yet definitely needs doing.  All together there are
about 55 warning messages to fix.  It would probably take an evening to
do so.  Give me a few days!

> martin

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).