Subject: 29.1.90; change of default toolkit at build time

From: "Jay Berkenbilt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 07:02:13 -0400

To build emacs pretests on my XUbuntu systems over the years, I run
`apt build-dep emacs` to install the dependencies, and then just
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-<version>. This is how I built
emacs-29.1 (on the same system) and emacs-29.1.90. In the past, I have
not had to specify any additional options to configure for emacs to
chose gtk. For 29.1.90, I had to explicit pass `--with-x-toolkit=gtk`
for this to work.

This is an excerpt from what M-x report-emacs-bug says on my 29.1 emacs:

-----
In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-08-08 built on jblin
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Ubuntu 23.04

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-29.1'
-----

Below, you can find the text as created by M-x report-emacs-bug for
the 21.9.90 build. I have subsequently rebuilt 29.1.90 with the
`--with-x-toolkit=gtk` option and now have the gtk+ version that I am
accustomed to (with readable fonts, etc.).

I don't know if this is intentional or a bug. If intentional, it
should be document in NEWS (which I checked and see hasn't been
written yet for 29.2). Anyway, I don't have a problem right now, but I
wanted to make sure this issue was known.

The rest of this message is what was generated with emacs 29.1.90
configured without any additional options.

In GNU Emacs 29.1.90 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw
 scroll bars) of 2023-10-24 built on jblin
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Ubuntu 23.04

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs-29.1.90'

Configured features:
GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/ejb/elisp/startup hides /usr/local/emacs-29.1.90/share/emacs/29.1.90/lisp/startup
/usr/local/emacs-29.1.90/share/emacs/29.1.90/lisp/net/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug cap-words superword
subword use-package-ensure cl-extra help-mode use-package-core
clang-format xml w3m-load vc-svn vc vc-dispatcher qmime qmime-compose
qmime-view filecache warnings icons server compile-eslint rx compile
ange-ftp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring message sendmail yank-media
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs jka-compr cus-load advice cmake-mode-autoloads
company-autoloads dockerfile-mode-autoloads
flycheck-golangci-lint-autoloads flymake-go-staticcheck-autoloads
go-mode-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads highlight-indentation-autoloads
jinja2-mode-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads ht-autoloads lv-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads prettier-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
nvm-autoloads f-autoloads iter2-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads
hcl-mode-autoloads tide-autoloads flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads
epl-autoloads s-autoloads info dash-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117112 9157)
 (symbols 48 12967 1)
 (strings 32 37490 4174)
 (string-bytes 1 1199290)
 (vectors 16 21350)
 (vector-slots 8 335938 24552)
 (floats 8 43 37)
 (intervals 56 278 0)
 (buffers 976 11))