Subject: Re: bug#66866: aarch64 system cross compilation + pinebook pro image broken?

From: David Elsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:49:55 +0000

Hi dan,

sorry for the late reply. I didn't yet find the reason why different
bootstrap packages are built for the cross build when grafts are
applied. This seems possibly like another bug to me, as the package
inputs which use copy-build-system do not contain store references and
it does not happen when they themselves are built with grafts.

dan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can we put everything inside build-inputs?  From my understanding, 
> copy-build-system shouldn't care about cross-compilation at all.
I understand it that way too. In guix/build-system.scm, it is mentioned
that build/host/target are used in the sense of the GNU toolchain [1].
There, "build" is the system used for building and "host" is the target
system for which the package is built. I guess this was confused when
copy-build-system was added [2].

Cheers,
David

[1] https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.72/html_node/Specifying-Target-Triplets.html
[2] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/39599