Subject: bug#66849: correct hash but empty binaries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:14:43 +0000

Some weeks ago, after running `guix pull` and `guix home reconfigure 
~/.config/guix/home.scm`, my telegram-desktop stopped working. It showed 
no error messages whatsoever, running it just didn't start a process. 
Given particular circumstances, I did no further investigation, and did 
not write a bug report, only switched the pull commit and reconfigured 
my home.

Some days later, I guix pulled and reconfigured my home again, this time 
to the latest commit, and telegram-desktop was fixed, but mpv was acting 
exactly the same, since I didn't investigate the first time, can't 
affirm it's the same problem, but seems plausible.

Relevant information:
```
+radio at buer in ~ > strace mpv --help
execve("/home/radio/.guix-home/profile/bin/mpv", ["mpv", "--help"], 
0x7ffd853ab2d8 /* 84 vars */) = -1 ENOEXEC (Exec format error)

strace: exec: Exec format error

+++ exited with 1 +++
```
```
+radio at buer in ~ > file $(which mpv)
/home/radio/.guix-home/profile/bin/mpv: symbolic link to 
/gnu/store/fqxxf5kdjf6d67szgh5rz64mzkxwm2yx-mpv-0.36.0/bin/mpv
```
```
+radio at buer in ~ > file 
/gnu/store/fqxxf5kdjf6d67szgh5rz64mzkxwm2yx-mpv-0.36.0/bin/mpv
/gnu/store/fqxxf5kdjf6d67szgh5rz64mzkxwm2yx-mpv-0.36.0/bin/mpv: empty
```

```
+radio at buer in ~ > guix describe
Generation 127  Oct 31 2023 08:36:59    (current)
   radix 58fe4d3
     repository URL: https://codeberg.org/anemofilia/radix
     branch: main
     commit: 58fe4d318f44103c30465da0af810b3f00aa0b9d
   guix c089537
     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
     branch: master
     commit: c0895371c5759c7d9edb330774e90f192cc4cf2c
```

A friend on the #guix IRC channel tried to reproduce the error, but got 
an working mpv, with the exact same hash.