Subject: bug#66838: hyperbole does not detect I’m on a mac

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:07:03 +0100

Hi Alan,

> [email-masked] writes:
> Hello,
>
> I’m new to hyperbole, so don’t hesitate to tell me if I should be asking
> this somewhere else.

No problem. This sounds more like bug so the [email-masked] could be an
alternative but here is fine too and thanks for the report.

> When I press M-ret on a path to a pdf, hyperbole offers to run "setsid
> -w xdg-open", which I don’t have installed as I’m on a mac. Looking at
> hpath:get-external-display-alist, I see that my window system, which is
> "mac", is not in the first conditional. Is this a bug?

Yes I think so. It seems Hyperbole does not identify that you are on a Mac and
falls back to settings used when running under X-windows.

Can you share what value `window-system' has on your machine? (Use Hyperbole
key series: {C-hv window-system RET})

> Is there a way to configure M-ret to open the file in dired instead?

Yes there is. You can customize the variable `hpath:native-image-suffixes' and
add the suffix of the file type that you want to display naively in Emacs. In
your case "pdf". The name of the variable is not the best and should probably
be updated now when Emacs supports more native document types than images.

%% Mats