Subject: bug#66780: [PATCH] Improve rectangle-mark-mode when transient-mark-mode is off

From: Jens Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:49:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Serious reasons to make the change.  For this particular one, I guess
> arguments for why this situation is not as obscure and unimportant as
> it looks.  Obscure aspects of Emacs use do not get to be described in
> the user manual, since the manual is not supposed to describe every
> command, variable, and function we have in Emacs, only those deemed
> important enough.  For the rest, there are the doc string and Help
> commands that search those doc strings and help users find those
> symbols even though they are not in the manual.

More or less agreeing.

> For starters, I'd need to know about it, so I could understand what it
> tells me when it is present.  When it _is_ present, it's quite
> possible that some other mode-line information important to me will be
> pushed outside of the visible part.

Still disagreeing, but anyway.

Let's wait for Stefan's verdict on fix C.

Thanks.