Subject: bug#66773: 29.1; Ido displays incorrectly with multiple frames when ido-max-window-height=1

From: Spencer Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:41:45 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But in that case, the result of Git bisection is incorrect, since
> reverting that commit doesn't change the behavior in this recipe, at
> least on my system.  Did you see any change in behavior when you
> reverted the commit to which "git bisect" pointed?

There is no change when reverting it against Emacs 29 or master. I
apologize for not mentioning this before. There is a change, however,
when reverting against the commit's immediate parent; so, coincidentally
or otherwise, the commit does manifest the behavior I've demonstrated. I
cannot speak to the ramifications for the rest of the codebase (I
understand much has likely changed in the two years since that commit
was made).

> The reason for what you see is the new handling of mini-windows
> introduced in Emacs 28 (not in 29), whereby by default we show the end
> of the mini-buffer text, not its beginning.

That is certainly interesting, as I can affirm this behavior was not
present in any version of Emacs 28 I've tested (up to emacs-28.3-rc1).

> It looks to me that when ido-max-window-height is set to 1, the
> variable redisplay-adhoc-scroll-in-resize-mini-windows should be set
> to the nil value, which will make the behavior in your recipe
> consistent, at least in my testing.

It does, and I thank you much for turning me onto that, as it at least
provides a usable fix for now.