Subject: bug#66773: 29.1; Ido displays incorrectly with multiple frames when ido-max-window-height=1

From: Spencer Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:47:40 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If the minibuffer text is longer than what the mini-window can show,
> then it is not clear whether Emacs should show the beginning or the
> end of the minibuffer text.  So I don't see how this is a bug and why
> would the alternative behavior be better.  Also, if you just type C-b,
> you will see the rest of the buffer text.

I consider it a bug due to inconsistent behavior. With multiple
frames, the behavior is different than it is with only one frame.

> If, for some reason, ido-mode wants to always display the beginning of
> the minibuffer text, it can do that with a change specific to
> ido-mode.

In Ido's case it is certainly incorrect to show the end first, due to
the prompt and selection being at the beginning. My concern is that in
Emacs 28 it had no trouble, and in Emacs 29 it acts erratically.

> The change to which you point affect general Emacs behavior, it
> isn't specific to ido-mode.

I understand that. I originally meant for this report to be more
general, as I did believe Emacs's drawing code to be at fault, but in
the end Ido was the only definitive example of wrong behavior I could
reproduce. I included the commit reference on the outside chance it
might save someone some digging (as I'd already put a little work into
finding a solution myself).

I hope that if it is indeed an Ido-specific bug, this report will still
be of some use. Thanks for your time.