Subject: Re: bug#6677: 24.0.50; NS variant cannot copy to pasteboard correctly

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 07:56:41 +0100

On 20/07/10 23:18, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:

> *** Since x11 emacs is now actually using X11 CLIPBOARD, it is likely
> that the attached _untested_ but minor patch or something very like it
> is correct on nextstep.
>

Update: Taking a bit longer than I expected, mostly thanks to debian's 
gnustep packages having some known bugs on amd64 that _I_ didn't know 
about, could have saved myself a _lot_ of time just latest svn gnustep 
in the first place, gah.

One work-in-progess note: Turns out that first patch wasn't quite 
correct either, modern GNUstep's "gpbs" pasteboard daemon actually 
supports a conventional [1] mapping to X11 selections, as follows, 
visible in [2]

x11 side    ns side
CLIPBOARD   General Pasteboard
PRIMARY     "Selection" named pasteboard
SECONDARY   "Secondary" named pasteboard

(Wonder if the Xquartz guys are aware of that...)

I think it is quite obviously desirable that ns emacs adopt that scheme.

[1] At one stage gnustep did use a different scheme, there is still a 
backward compat defaults setting that flips them around 
("GSOldClipboard"), but the default is now the above, thankfully.

[2] 
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/libs/back/trunk/Tools/xpbs.m?rev=29270&view=markup