Subject: Re: bug#6677: 24.0.50; NS variant cannot copy to pasteboard correctly

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:26:37 +0200

Am 21.07.2010 um 00:18 schrieb David De La Harpe Golden:

> Can you try building an emacs with the patch on macosx?

Yesterday, at UTC evening, I updated with bzr. The build did not copy.  
Today, after a 'make clean', I applied your patch and re-compiled. No  
change, still copying from the NS variant to other Mac OS X  
applications or X clients does not work. One change happened, when  
pasting what I marked and copied in X11 or a Mac OS X application:

	Quit: "pasteboard doesn't contain valid data"

Maybe the copy&paste code could be made smaller since the X servers in  
Snow Leopard have built-in a synching mechanism with the Mac OS X  
pasteboard and up-to-date X servers in Leopard have it too. Only the  
original Apple X server lacks this, but can be configured to work  
similarly.

>
>> Additionally double-click to mark a word is interpreted as
>> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>, bound to mouse-drag-region. I don't think  
>> that
>> this is desirable...
>
> N.B. Mouse-drag-region calls mouse-drag-track which calls mouse- 
> start-end to _implement_ double-click to mark a word, perhaps not  
> intuitively given the name. So does double-clicking nonetheless  
> actually mark the word on NS?

Yes, it does. In the beginning I found that this did not copy the word  
to the pasteboard, so I assumed some key binding might have changed,  
but they haven't. A working (and installed in /Applications) copy from  
middle of June describes double-click as the same – and copies the  
word to Mac OS X pasteboard and X11 PRIMARY selection (or XQuartz  
2.5.1 (xorg-server 1.8.99.904) from MacPorts is synching OS X and X11).

--
Greetings

   Pete

The next generation of interesting software will be done on the  
Macintosh, not the IBM PC.
				– Bill Gates, Nov 1984)