Subject: bug#66756: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Improve discussion of 'let' in Elisp Introduction manual

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:03:52 -0800

On 11/24/2023 11:51 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think something is missing from this description: "inside the 'let'
> body" is ambiguous when the body calls functions.  The text should
> explain that the body of functions called from 'let' is NOT considered
> to be "inside the 'let' body".  This crucial point is hinted or
> explained later, but it must be explained right here at the start.

I added a short parenthetical here to explain this point: "(such as when 
calling a function that was defined elsewhere)". I intentionally kept 
this brief though, since this introductory section is primarily about 
introducing the basics of 'let' and why you'd use it. Once we've shown 
readers *how* to use 'let', then we return to a more detailed discussion 
of how the binding works in the last section.

>> +As we discussed before, when you create local variables with
>> +@code{let} under lexical binding, those variables are valid only
>> +within the body of the @code{let} expression.  In other parts of your
>> +code, they have other meanings, so if you call a function in the
>> +@code{let} body, that function would be unable to ``see'' the local
>> +variables you've created.
> 
> First, AFAIU the last sentence is correct only if the function's
> definition is outside of the 'let'.  And second, this crucial
> dependence on where the function is defined is very important for
> understanding _why_ the function won't see the value bound by 'let'.
> So it must be in the text, IMO.

I've expanded upon this and added a description of what happens when you 
call a function defined within a 'let' body.

>> +Under dynamic binding, the rules are different: instead, when you use
>> +@code{let}, the local variables you've created are valid during
>> +execution of the let expression.  This means that, if your @code{let}
>> +expression calls a function, that function can see (and modify) these
>> +local variables.
> 
> This should say "...regardless of where the function is defined."  I
> would even add that the above is true even for functions defined on
> other Lisp files.

Done.

> This should IMO tell that this "binding stack" is _global_, i.e. it is
> seen by every function regardless of where and how it was defined.

Done.

>> +Here, the result of @code{(getx)} is @code{1}.  Under lexical binding,
>> +@code{getx} doesn't see the value from our @code{let} expression.
>> +That's because the body of @code{getx} is outside of the body of our
>> +@code{let} expression.
> 
> The last sentence is critical for understanding of the issue, and
> should be at the very beginning of the 'let' description (and repeated
> here, of course).

Done.

>>                           Instead, @code{getx} looks for @code{x}
>> +elsewhere, and finds it at the global scope of our code.
> 
> This "looks for and finds" is problematic, IMO, because it is not
> clear why would it "find" the value of x set by 'setq', but not the
> value of x set by 'let'.  IOW, the mechanism of "looking and finding"
> remains mysterious and no intuitive description is provided to help
> understanding it.  Can we provide such a description?  If you cannot
> think about one, how about explaining the internal workings of this
> "looking and finding" as it is implemented, and we could then take it
> from there and express the idea in less technical ways.

I've reworded this to hopefully be more explicit that, since 'getx' is 
defined outside of any 'let' body, it will look for 'x' at global scope. 
Combined with the previous, more-general discussion of how 'let' and 
'defun' interact, I think (hope) this should cover things.

>> +Now, the result of @code{(getx)} is @code{2}!  That's because under
>> +dynamic binding, when executing @code{getx}, the current binding for
>> +@code{x} is the one from our @code{let} binding.  This time,
>> +@code{getx} doesn't see the global value for @code{x}, since its
>> +binding is below the one from our @code{let} expression in the stack
>> +of bindings.
> 
> This should mention the stack and its top earlier, where it talks
> about "the current binding".

Done.

From 8c416b752a87bc9226eeaad0399a3679985825a9 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:43:57 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Introduce 'let' using lexical binding in the Lisp
 Introduction

* doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi (Prevent confusion): Rework the
explanation to discuss how things work under lexical binding.
(How let Binds Variables): Describe the differences between lexical
and dynamic binding (including how to configure it).
(defvar): Mention that 'defvar' declares variables as always
dynamically-bound (bug#66756).
---
 doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi | 161 +++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 1 file changed, 137 insertions(+), 24 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
index c5b33ac5eaa..caf9a3c876c 100644
--- a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@@ -3591,6 +3591,7 @@ let
 * Parts of let Expression::
 * Sample let Expression::
 * Uninitialized let Variables::
+* How let Binds Variables::
 @end menu
 
 @ifnottex
@@ -3602,24 +3603,22 @@ Prevent confusion
 @cindex @samp{variable, local}, defined
 The @code{let} special form prevents confusion.  @code{let} creates a
 name for a @dfn{local variable} that overshadows any use of the same
-name outside the @code{let} expression.  This is like understanding
-that whenever your host refers to ``the house'', he means his house, not
-yours.  (Symbols used in argument lists work the same way.
-@xref{defun, , The @code{defun} Macro}.)
-
-Local variables created by a @code{let} expression retain their value
-@emph{only} within the @code{let} expression itself (and within
-expressions called within the @code{let} expression); the local
-variables have no effect outside the @code{let} expression.
-
-Another way to think about @code{let} is that it is like a @code{setq}
-that is temporary and local.  The values set by @code{let} are
-automatically undone when the @code{let} is finished.  The setting
-only affects expressions that are inside the bounds of the @code{let}
-expression.  In computer science jargon, we would say the binding of
-a symbol is visible only in functions called in the @code{let} form;
-in Emacs Lisp, the default scoping is dynamic, not lexical.  (The
-non-default lexical binding is not discussed in this manual.)
+name outside the @code{let} expression (in computer science jargon, we
+call this @dfn{binding} the variable).  This is like understanding
+that in your host's home, whenever he refers to ``the house'', he
+means his house, not yours.  (Symbols used in argument lists work the
+same way.  @xref{defun, , The @code{defun} Macro}.)
+
+Another way to think about @code{let} is that it defines a special
+region in your code: within the body of the @code{let} expression, the
+variables you've named have their own local meaning.  Outside of the
+@code{let} body, they have other meanings (or they may not be defined
+at all).  This means that inside the @code{let} body, calling
+@code{setq} for a variable named by the @code{let} expression will set
+the value of the @emph{local} variable of that name.  However, outside
+of the @code{let} body (such as when calling a function that was
+defined elsewhere), calling @code{setq} for a variable named by the
+@code{let} expression will @emph{not} affect that local variable.
 
 @code{let} can create more than one variable at once.  Also,
 @code{let} gives each variable it creates an initial value, either a
@@ -3779,6 +3778,118 @@ Uninitialized let Variables
 @samp{%s}.)  The four variables as a group are put into a list to
 delimit them from the body of the @code{let}.
 
+@node How let Binds Variables
+@subsection How @code{let} Binds Variables
+@cindex Lexical binding
+@cindex Binding, lexical
+@cindex Dynamic binding
+@cindex Binding, dynamic
+
+Emacs Lisp supports two different ways of binding variable names to
+their values.  These ways affect the parts of your program where a
+particular binding is validscop.  For historical reasons, Emacs Lisp uses
+a form of variable binding called @dfn{dynamic binding} by default.
+However, in this manual we discuss the preferred form of binding,
+called @dfn{lexical binding}, unless otherwise noted (in the future,
+the Emacs maintainers plan to change the default to lexical binding).
+If you have programmed in other languages before, you're likely
+already familiar with how lexical binding behaves.
+
+In order to use lexical binding in a program, you should add this to
+the first line of your Emacs Lisp file:
+
+@example
+;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
+@end example
+
+For more information about this, @pxref{Selecting Lisp Dialect, , ,
+elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual}.
+
+As we discussed before, when you create local variables with
+@code{let} under lexical binding, those variables are valid only
+within the body of the @code{let} expression.  In other parts of your
+code, they have other meanings, so if you call a function defined
+elsewhere within the @code{let} body, that function would be unable to
+``see'' the local variables you've created.  (On the other hand, if
+you call a function defined within a @code{let} body, that function
+@emph{would} be able to see---and modify---the local variables from
+that @code{let} expression.)
+
+Under dynamic binding, the rules are different: instead, when you use
+@code{let}, the local variables you've created are valid during
+execution of the let expression.  This means that, if your @code{let}
+expression calls a function, that function can see these local
+variables, regardless of where the function is defined (including in
+another file entirely).
+
+Another way to think about @code{let} when using dynamic binding is
+that every variable name has a global ``stack'' of bindings, and
+whenever you use that variable's name, it refers to the binding on the
+top of the stack.  (You can imagine this like a stack of papers on
+your desk with the values written on them.)  When you bind a variable
+with @code{let}, it puts the new binding you've specified on the top
+of the stack, and then executes the @code{let} body.  Once the
+@code{let} body finishes, it takes that binding off of the stack,
+revealing the one it had (if any) before the @code{let} expression.
+
+In some cases, both lexical and dynamic binding behave identically.
+However, in other cases, they can change the meaning of your program.
+For example, see what happens in this code under lexical binding:
+
+@example
+;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
+
+(setq x 0)
+
+(defun getx ()
+  x)
+
+(setq x 1)
+
+(let ((x 2))
+  (getx))
+     @result{} 1
+@end example
+
+@noindent
+Here, the result of @code{(getx)} is @code{1}.  Under lexical binding,
+@code{getx} doesn't see the value from our @code{let} expression.
+That's because the body of @code{getx} is outside of the body of our
+@code{let} expression.  Since @code{getx} is defined at the top,
+global level of our code (i.e.@: not inside the body of any @code{let}
+expression), it looks for and finds @code{x} at the global level as
+well.  When executing @code{getx}, the current global value of
+@code{x} is @code{1}, so that's what @code{getx} returns.
+
+If we use dynamic binding instead, the behavior is different:
+
+@example
+;;; -*- lexical-binding: nil -*-
+
+(setq x 0)
+
+(defun getx ()
+  x)
+
+(setq x 1)
+
+(let ((x 2))
+  (getx))
+     @result{} 2
+@end example
+
+@noindent
+Now, the result of @code{(getx)} is @code{2}!  That's because under
+dynamic binding, when executing @code{getx}, the current binding for
+@code{x} at the top of our stack is the one from our @code{let}
+binding.  This time, @code{getx} doesn't see the global value for
+@code{x}, since its binding is below the one from our @code{let}
+expression in the stack of bindings.
+
+(Some variables are also ``special'', and they are always dynamically
+bound even when @code{lexical-binding} is @code{t}.  @xref{defvar, ,
+Initializing a Variable with @code{defvar}}.)
+
 @node if
 @section The @code{if} Special Form
 @findex if
@@ -9130,12 +9241,14 @@ defvar
 given an initial value by using the @code{defvar} special form.  The
 name comes from ``define variable''.
 
-The @code{defvar} special form is similar to @code{setq} in that it sets
-the value of a variable.  It is unlike @code{setq} in two ways: first,
-it only sets the value of the variable if the variable does not already
-have a value.  If the variable already has a value, @code{defvar} does
-not override the existing value.  Second, @code{defvar} has a
-documentation string.
+The @code{defvar} special form is similar to @code{setq} in that it
+sets the value of a variable.  It is unlike @code{setq} in three ways:
+first, it marks the variable as ``special'' so that it is always
+dynamically bound, even when @code{lexical-binding} is @code{t}
+(@pxref{How let Binds Variables}).  Second, it only sets the value of
+the variable if the variable does not already have a value.  If the
+variable already has a value, @code{defvar} does not override the
+existing value.  Third, @code{defvar} has a documentation string.
 
 (There is a related macro, @code{defcustom}, designed for variables
 that people customize.  It has more features than @code{defvar}.
-- 
2.25.1