Subject: bug#66752: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for 'thing-at-point' to 'bug-reference-mode'

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 23:21:59 -0700

On 11/4/2023 10:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 13:07:38 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>>
>> I don't know if that's a case we want to support; maybe I'm just being
>> overly cautious. (Or maybe there should be - or already is - some
>> utility function that does this for us.) Eli, do you have any thoughts
>> on this part?
> 
> I don't see any problems with this.  But I added Stefan in case he has
> an opinion.

Another implementation option might be:

1. When activating 'bug-reference-mode', only add 
'bug-reference--url-at-point' to 'thing-at-point-provider-alist' if it's 
not already there,

2. Do nothing when deactivating 'bug-reference-mode', and

3. Inside bug-reference--url-at-point' always return nil if 
'bug-reference-mode' is inactive.

Though I suppose this would use 'cl-pushnew' for (1), which might be 
inadvisable given the recent discussion on emacs-devel. (Or we could use 
'add-to-list', but its docstring says "please do not abuse it in Elisp 
code, where you are usually better off using ‘push’ or ‘cl-pushnew’.")

I don't have a very strong opinion on this part, so I'll do whatever 
makes everyone happy here.