Subject: Re: bug#66752: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for 'thing-at-point' to 'bug-reference-mode'

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 13:07:38 -0700

On 11/4/2023 12:24 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
>>       (jit-lock-unregister #'bug-reference-fontify)
>> +    (setq thing-at-point-provider-alist
>> +          (delete '((url . bug-reference--url-at-point))
>> +                  thing-at-point-provider-alist))
>> +    (when (equal thing-at-point-provider-alist
>> +                 (default-value 'thing-at-point-provider-alist))
>> +      (kill-local-variable 'thing-at-point-provider-alist))
> 
> Is that conventional, nuking a buffer-local value once it's back to its
> default value.  Just asking out of curiosity.

I'm not sure. The only example I saw for adding to 
'thing-at-provider-alist' was for EWW (a major mode). I thought, "What 
if someone activated and deactivated 'bug-reference-mode' and then later 
added something to the default value of 'thing-at-provider-alist'?"

I don't know if that's a case we want to support; maybe I'm just being 
overly cautious. (Or maybe there should be - or already is - some 
utility function that does this for us.) Eli, do you have any thoughts 
on this part?