Subject: Re: bug#66750: Unhelpful text in C-h v for variables with a lambda form as value

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 12:32:12 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 18:18:08 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > But it's not quite so simple as all that.  In order to get the doc
> > strings for lambdas into the .elc file, there'll have to be an
> > enhancement of the .elc format.  Currently, although doc strings for
> > defuns/demacros/etc. are stored as file name + offset, those for
> > lambdas (which are vanishingly rare at this point) are just stored
> > inline in the .elc, and would get loaded along with the lambdas.

> Yes, I know.  I think it's an orthogonal issue.  It's OK.

[ .... ]

> But if those become more common, the tradeoff would justify getting such
> a change in `master` (especially since IIRC it simplifies `bytecomp.el`
> a bit).

I've committed a change to master which writes lambdas' doc strings as
comments, like main functions' doc strings, rather than inline.

[ .... ]

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).