Subject: bug#66750: Unhelpful text in C-h v for variables with a lambda form as value

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:44:28 -0700

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 15:50:14 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> How about if you propose a compromise with which you could live?
>
> That is difficult.

Thanks for persevering despite the difficulties.

I have just now reviewed this thread in full, and I reread also the
beginning of the discussion.  The contention here is not around the
general idea, which everyone seems to find more or less useful, but some
of the design decisions in the proposed implementation.

> I could see myself replacing the defining symbol with FILE:POSITION
> information, but I doubt that would make the two of you happy enough.
> Or, maybe put this defining symbol or F:P information into the doc
> string somehow (including in the interpreted format) like Stefan was
> suggesting recently.

If I understand you correctly here, you are willing to consider using
FILE+LINE+COL instead of defining symbol, and storing the information in
the docstring instead of the lambda form.  And if I understand Stefan
Monnier's argument correctly, it seems like he wouldn't object to that.

So why not proceed along those lines?