Subject: Re: bug#6675: 23.2; field, header and headers

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:15:01 +0200

tags 6775 wontfix
close 6775
thanks

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:

> However in function names and arguments in message.el and Gnus, header
> usually means 'field' and headers means 'header'. Sometimes field is
> used directly to mean 'field' as in message-fetch-field.
>
> I find this inconsistency confusing. I think message.el and Gnus should
> follow the same terminology used in the RFCs mentioned above and other
> files, for example those in mail/, in Emacs to be consistent with their
> use of 'field' and 'header'.

Yes, it's unfortunate that (especially older) functions in Gnus use
"field" where we really mean "header", but changing function names and
breaking third-party code for consistency here isn't worth it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/