Subject: Re: bug#66748: 29.1; Remote files lose their coding system & line ending style

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:58:25 +0200

Dan McCarthy <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> I visited a remote file with DOS line endings over SSH, added a line
> and
> saved. The file still has \r\n at every line, but now Emacs reports
> "Unix-style LF" as the line-ending style; if I add more text and save
> again, the line endings are converted to \n.
>
> Something similar happens with remote files in iso-latin-1. After
> saving, they're converted to utf-8-unix. I noticed this in `git diff`:
> it reported changes in some non-ASCII text that I hadn't touched,
> which was surprising.
>
> Neither problem occurs with local files.

This sounds like bug#65022. Please read the discussion at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/65022, which contains also a patch which you
might try. It will be fixed in the upcoming Emacs 29.2.

Best regards, Michael.