Subject: Re: bug#66742: 30.0.50; transient-mark-mode is not enabled after re-dumping Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:56:40 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:53:00 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Is there a facility in place to do such re-evaluation?
> >
> > Yes, see custom-initialize-delay, and the code in startup.el that
> > supports it.
> 
> According to Gerd Möllmann, `custom-initialize-delay' does not work
> here. AFAIU, `transient-mark-mode' is already supposed to use it (see
> cus-start.el).

It could be that re-dumping somehow defeats this mechanism, in which
case we need to debug why it does.  I didn't mean to say that
custom-initialize-delay is a magic wand for this particular case, I
just pointed to a feature that we already have which is supposed to
handle these situations.  If it doesn't work after re-dumping, it
needs to be fixed or generalized to do so, or maybe we should come up
with a similar but different feature.