Subject: bug#66737: closed (Re: bug#66737: 30.0.50; Unexpected combination of double quote and acute accent)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 08:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#66737: 30.0.50; Unexpected combination of double quote and acute accent

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66737: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66737
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#66737: 30.0.50; Unexpected combination of double quote and acute accent
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 10:22:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:40:09 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:06:50 +0200
> > 
> > Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > > How do you see that the acute accent is combined with the double
> > > quote?  Emacs, above, says it's combined with Ι and the diaeresis, not
> > > with the double quote.
> > 
> > Yes, that's correct: What Emacs says is not what I see, I see the acute
> > accent combined with the double quote, here is a screenshot:
> > 
> >     https://www.metalevel.at/ei/issue66737.png
> 
> Then that's a problem with this font.  I see the same here when I use
> DejaVu Sans Mono as the default font.  I think HarfBuzz developers
> said several times that DejaVu Sans Mono is a problematic font.
> 
> I don't think this is an Emacs problem.

No further comments, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; Unexpected combination of double quote and acute accent
From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:22:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce this issue, please start Emacs with:

    $ emacs -Q

and then insert the following text in the *scratch* buffer:

    Ϊ́"

The expected appearance is: the letter Ι combined with diaeresis and
acute accent, followed by double quote.

Instead, I see: the letter I combined with diaeresis, followed by
double quote combined with acute accent.

All the best,
Markus

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, X toolkit,
 cairo version 1.17.6, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-09-11 built on
 mac
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.2

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --disable-silent-rules --without-ns
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-libgmp --with-gnutls --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules
 --with-sqlite3 --with-webp --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-xaw3d --without-imagemagick --with-xpm
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-lcms2
 --without-rsvg --with-xft --with-native-compilation=aot
 --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -Wno-attributes
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -arch
 x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -lfreetype
 -lfontconfig -Wl,-rpath /opt/local/lib/gcc12 -Wl,-no_pie
 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk
 -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix