Subject: bug#66716: Reconcile display-fill-column-indicator-character behavior and customization description

From: Joseph Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:23:06 -0700

Tags: patch

Tags: patch

Tags: patch

AFAICT, setting display-fill-column-indicator-character to nil means
that no fill indicator is displayed. This patch changes the
customization description to match the current behavior.

However, I like the behavior that's currently described in the
customization option:

"If possible, use U+2502 to indicate fill column, otherwise use |"

What do folks think about changing the behavior of
display-fill-column-indicator-character to match this description?

Thank you!!

Joseph

>From 846252d0c3912623ba2d8ff9832e00dfa00fc091 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Joseph Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:20:09 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Fix customization description:
 display-fill-column-indicator-character

* lisp/cus-start.el (standard): Change the description of the nil
value to its current behavior: to not display a fill indicator.
---
 lisp/cus-start.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/cus-start.el b/lisp/cus-start.el
index 054683d7cf6..2fc5d3d727c 100644
--- a/lisp/cus-start.el
+++ b/lisp/cus-start.el
@@ -806,7 +806,7 @@ since it could result in memory overflow and make Emacs crash."
                       :value ?│)
                (character :tag "Use | to indicate fill column"
                       :value ?|)
-               (const :tag "If possible, use U+2502 to indicate fill column, otherwise use |"
+               (const :tag "Do not indicate fill column"
                       :value nil)
                character)
               "27.1"
-- 
2.41.0