Subject: Re: bug#66706: [PATCH] Automatic elisp dialect insertion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:04:23 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  Mattias Engdegård
>  <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:56:50 -0400
> 
> > OK, and why is it such a reply does not suffice?  And why would any
> > measure short of initializing lexical-binding to t eliminate these
> > people, when so many have failed in the past?
> 
> Initializing lexical-binding to t by default is currently not an option,
> because it would introduce too much breakage.  For this reason, we need
> to take smaller steps that will later make this change possible.

I think if turning lexical-binding on by default is not yet possible,
we should wait until it's possible.  I see no need for any
intermediate steps, certainly not for a step such as the one suggested
here.