Subject: Re: bug#66706: [PATCH] Automatic elisp dialect insertion

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:20:50 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wasn't aware of that indication myself, FWIW. Or forgot.
>
> Regarding intermediate steps toward making 'lexical-binding: t' the
> default, are you of the opinion that we've made enough of them now?
> And will just be able to flip the default in some future release?
>
> All in all, I'd say the byte-compilation warning "file has no
> ‘lexical-binding’ directive" which we already show might suffice. But
> it only helps after the user learns how to byte-compile files and/or
> enable flymake-mode.

We cannot make lexical binding the default until an adequately
proficient writer is found to explain it within the Emacs Lisp
introduction.  Any volunteers?  For doing so would certainly be more
conducive towards that goal.

But today's software types are generally more interested in the much
simpler (if doubtfully efficacious) expedient that is coercion.