Subject: Re: bug#66706: [PATCH] Automatic elisp dialect insertion

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:17:05 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> We should also ask ourselves if this is not "too much".  I think it
> is, since a clear indication of dynamic binding, with a face that
> makes it stand out, already exists on the mode line.  I think this is
> enough.

I expect the users most helped by this to not even register that warning
on the mode line.  It's quite inconspicuous.  I never see it, myself.

We have had the mode-line warning for years, yet most user
configurations still implicitly use "lexical-binding:nil".  Just have a
look at the configurations posted on GitHub, Reddit and elsewhere.

This will mean that a lot of users will have a Bad Time (TM) when we
eventually change the default to lexical-binding:t.  We can help
mitigate that pain, or we can choose not to.

The controversial choice here is to see this situation coming yet refuse
to take reasonable steps to help.  That would be unfortunate, and a
disservice to our users.

> It is not Emacs's business to force users into something they don't
> want to do.

No one disagrees with that, AFAICT.  The proposed patch has a user
option to disable the new behavior.