Subject: Re: bug#66706: [PATCH] Automatic elisp dialect insertion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:27:30 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:19:46 -0400
> 
> > As mentioned earlier, please make the automatic insertion be off by
> > default, and please reflect that in the NEWS entry.
> 
> That makes the patch completely useless.  There's already an opt-in
> solution (via `auto-insert`), so I'd oppose this patch if it's OFF by
> default since it's just added complexity.
> 
> The whole point of this patch is to help those users who don't
> know better.

But we already have ample features that help those "who don't know
better".  We turned on lexical-binding by default in *scratch* and
other situations, and we have the prominent indication in the mode
line when dynamic binding is in effect.  How much more is needed, and
why?

This looks like an overkill to me.  Almost like tyranny.  And
inserting stuff into a buffer without the user's say-so is completely
against the Emacs spirit.

So I'm very much against this.  I can live with it if it's off by
default, but if you and others cannot live with such a compromise,
then neither will I.