Subject: Re: bug#66706: [PATCH] Automatic elisp dialect insertion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:08:08 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:11:52 -0400
> 
> > Until then, I see no reason why the prominent indication on the mode
> > line should not be enough.
> 
> It's much easier to write code directly in lexbind dialect than to go
> back and change existing code to adapt to the lexbind dialect.

If you think that inserting the cookie is okay, then it should also be
okay to turn lexical-binding on by default.  The effect is the same.

> Of course, maybe I'm not being bold enough and we shouldn't wait: let's
> change the default `lexical-binding` to t right away and just tell
> people to add a `lexical-binding:nil` cookie if they don't know how (or
> don't want to) adjust their code to the new dialect.

If this is what you were arguing for, I could at least understand it.
The measure proposed here I don't even understand.