Subject: bug#66703: Broken link to Debbugs User Guide

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2024 02:12:50 +0000

Hi Maxim,

Yes, reviving an old one as I try to close some (of my too many) browser
tabs.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 11:19 AM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> John Kehayias <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> merge 66703 58415
>> thanks
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 10:39 PM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Greg,
>>>
>>> Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> The page <https://guix.gnu.org/devel/manual/en/html_node/Debbugs-User-Interfaces.html>
>>>> has a broken link "Debbugs User Guide" to the page
>>>> <https://guix.gnu.org/devel/manual/en/debbugs-ug/index.html#Top>.
>>>
>>> There doesn't seem to be an online HTML version of this manual, so the
>>> bug doesn't appear actionable.
>>>
>>> It works when using 'info', provided the 'emacs-debbugs' package is
>>> installed.
>>
>> I noticed the broken html link before but never tracked down the correct
>> link to patch it. But just now a search gave me
>> <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/doc/debbugs-ug.html> which looks helpful?
>
> This doesn't look like an 'official' doc to me, but if we'd like to
> use

What do you mean not "official" exactly? This is listed as one of 2
links for the manual from the homepage of the debbugs package
<https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/debbugs.html> (one for the
package/library I guess, the second for the "user guide").

> it, we'd have to tune the doc/htmlxref.cnf file content.  Would you like
> to give it a try?

I have to admit not knowing about that file until you had mentioned it
and not sure where to start. Any quick pointers or examples of this? Or
do I just add a debbugs entry under emacs where it is set to that link?

(There was a patch from Vincent Legoll that was lost as it was only sent
to the bug number, which goes nowhere:
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66703#5> This just removes the reference
though. Adding to the CC here.)

For future reference, related issues:
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/29593> and
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54197>.

Thanks!
John