Subject: [bug#66694] Revision

From: jaeme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 02:16:03 -0400

Hello T,

T wrote:

 > We don't sign off on our own patches in Guix. Our Signed-off-by does 
not have the same DCO meaning as it does for, e.g., Linux. Ours is 
merely a stamp of approval by a committer.

I see, I do wish I knew that earlier before sending my other patches. 
Maybe that should be written somewhere in the Contributing section of 
the Guix manual because I have my ~/.gitconfig automatically add the 
signed-off line to all my commits. Thank you for mentioning that.

T wrote:

 > Apparently the copy-build-system doesn't acknowledge the existence of 
cross compilation, like, at all?

That not surprisingly went over my head. Can you tell me how you 
discovered that? I would like to know.

T wrote:

 > ...you don't want the  script calling the build-time ‘native’ grep at 
run time.

Noted (still learning lots').

T wrote:

 > I also added bash-minimal at ‘guix lint’'s suggestion.

I also saw that suggestion but I didn't add it since I already had 
coreutils which in my mind eclipsed bash-minimal.

T wrote:

 > we conventionally put fields in this order:

Duly Noted.

T wrote:

 > Here's a random Deep Guix Thing that I'm too tired to explain further:

I remember reading about 'search-native-paths' in a Guix blog, I'm glad 
the --pure situation is cleared up.

T wrote:

 > I do wonder: just how legal is this script, and the one Web site to 
which it's tightly bound?

 From looking at <https://repology.org/project/ani-cli/versions> for the 
other third-party packagers: Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo as well as nixpkgs 
have this script in their repositories. In addition, disclaimer.md 
posits that ani-cli can be thought of as a browser/wrapper rather than 
being a direct source for copyrighted content. We don't know when the 
website(s) will stop working but we can assume that the script will be 
updated as well as it's fairly active and popular in the GNU/Linux 
world. But to offer a more principled rebuttal, yt-dlp also has this 
similar issue of relying on a nonfree, non-federated network service 
(google videos/YouTube). However, one of the niches of yt-dlp is that it 
offers a way for users to stream/download videos hosted on YouTube 
without having to load the proprietary JS through their web browser. 
This package could serve a similar purpose to guix users as it's much 
safer to stream content directly rather than having to connect to and 
load the website (if it is possible at all with GNU Icecat) via web 
browser.

On a side note, this is my first time interacting with a mailing 
list/submitting patches. I have a lot of growing pains to get through.

Thanks,

Jaeme