Subject: Re: bug#66676: 29.1; Should some aspects of shr rendering be configurable

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:52:51 +0300

> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:29:53 +0200
> From:  Rahguzar via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> 1) Using `visual-line-mode` for line wrapping. I think this is more
> natural for html and makes resizing windows work more nicely.

AFAIR, there were good reasons for the decision to fill text in shr.
So this could be an optional feature, but not the default.

> 2) Not introducing line-breaks for every image. Wikipedia uses small
> inline images quite extensively for mathematical notation and shr breaks
> line at each of them which makes the text quite hard to read. This line
> breaking is scattered at three different places:

shr breaks lines on images because Emacs is incapable of displaying an
image without making the line of surrounding text high enough to allow
the image to be displayed.

> 3) shr uses 0.2 and -0.2 as value of raise property for superscripts and
> subscripts. I think it makes sense to make these values customizable.
> For me 0.2 for superscripts was too low and 0.4 worked much better.

No objection to making this customizable.

> 4) shr uses 100 as the value of :ascent when creating an image. For me
> this makes the inline images appear off centered. I fiddled with it a
> bit and found 60 to be a good value for me. I wonder if it makes sense
> to makes the value of :ascent to be customizable? My instinct is no
> since I think the correct value can probably be computed from image
> height and the average height of default face.

I think it could be customizable even if it's computed from the image.