Subject: bug#66676: 29.1; Should some aspects of shr rendering be configurable

From: Rahguzar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:12:08 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gotcha.  Not sure why I have such a knee-jerk response to automating
> visual-line-mode activation.
>
> OT1H part of me likes your idea of not doing anything and letting users
> add visual-line-mode to eww-after-render-hook: it's explicit, it's less
> work for folks who would prefer to keep it off;

Turning on a minor mode from a hook is easier than turning it off so
that is one reason for preferring to not activate them. I think in
this case I think people want to not fill text and also not turn on
visual-line-mode should be rare enough that we should do it. But I don't
have very strong opinion on this.

> OTOH, can't quite picture anyone actually preferring that.  I guess by
> default, truncate-lines being nil, they would get some sort of
> "reflowing"…
>
> Tentative bottomline: it's fine as-is really 👍 The knobs are all there;
> I don't have an alternative that I strongly believe in.

Rahguzar