Subject: bug#66676: 29.1; Should some aspects of shr rendering be configurable

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 13:05:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars, anybody else?  Any comments to these changes?

As an occasional user of shr (mainly when viewing HTML parts in Gnus)
who frequently messes with window width and face height, I'm very much
interested in better visual-line-mode integration.  Also intrigued by
outline-mode support.  So closely following this thread, and
enthusiastically thanking Rahguzar for tackling this 👏

Don't know if I have anything insightful to say re. the patches.  Idly
wondering if '(null shr-fill-text) ⇒ (visual-line-mode)' is the right
control flow; e.g. maybe

  (a) shr-fill-text could be set to 'visual as a more explicit hint for
  major modes, or

  (b) major modes should grow new user options: e.g. eww-wrap-method ∈
  {fill, visual}; 'visual would tell modes to set shr-fill-text to nil &
  enable visual-line-mode.

There are already plenty of user knobs at the shr level though, so maybe
no need to overthink this.