Subject: bug#66675: 29.1; Gnus hangs on startup fetching new news

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:00:44 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: "Doolittle, Edward" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:37:20 +0000
>> 
>> Gnus worked very well for me until I decided to try Gnus Cloud to
>> synchronize news between two computers.  I set up nnimap to point to my
>> iCloud mail imap account, started reading mail in Gnus, then set up the
>> Gnus cloud repository there.  Everything worked as expected.  I quit
>> Gnus multiple times and restarted and everything worked as expected.
>> 
>> Then I quit emacs and restarted a few hours later, and found that Gnus
>> would hang on startup while checking for new news.  I removed the nnimap
>> lines from init.el and restarted emacs, but it still hanged.  I touched
>> .newsrc and Gnus started.  I conclude that there is a problem with
>> .newsrc.eld but I don't understand the format well enough to do surgery
>> on it.  My theory is that maybe there is some kind of security feature on
>> iCloud mail that is not allowing Gnus access after a time.
>> 
>> For now I'm deactivating nnimap and restoring .newsrc.eld from backup
>> which should get me back to normal, but I would appreciate any guidance
>> you may have using Gnus cloud with iCloud.
>
> Eric and Andrew, could you please look into this?

Edward later wrote to say it was a config error, and I think you've
already closed the report!