Subject: Re: bug#66664: On modified lines containing🌐︎ and Unicode VS15 in text mode emacs does not show the real content of the lines

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:39:53 +0300

[Please use Reply All, to keep the bug tracker on the CC list.]

> From: Дилян Палаузов
> 	 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:25:11 +0200
> 
> when I load the file the globe appears below “it” from “file edIT options” menu.  So at least visually I see two columns.
> 
> Now that you can reproduce the problem, what shall I do?

Try

  M-: (set-char-table-range char-width-table '(#x1f310 . #x1f310) 1) RET

But in general, I don't think this problem has a solution, except to
use GUI frames.  Text-mode terminals don't give a damn, to put it
mildly, about Emacs expectations and needs, when display of such
advanced character sequences is concerned.  They invent their own
implementations and de-facto standards, completely disregarding the
fact that Emacs was there and did that many years before them.  When
approached, they basically tell us "our way or the highway".  "Their
way" isn't going to happen in Emacs, for several good reasons, so here
we are.

Why are you using a text-mode terminal to edit files with these
characters?  Why not use a GUI session instead?