Subject: [bug#66650] bug#65720: Guile-Git-managed checkouts grow way too much

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:57:15 +0100

Hi Ludo,

Thanks for explaining.

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 at 12:17, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>                                   it’s rarely going to fire.

[...]

>> Let move it elsewhere if I am really annoyed.
>
> :-/

Sorry, I poorly worded my last comment. :-)

Somehow I was expressing: my view probably falls into the “Premature
optimization is the root of all evil” category.  Other said, I have no
objection and I will revisit the issue when I will be on fire, if I am,
or annoyed for real.

Cheers,
simon

PS:

Aside this patch:

>> So, somehow when 'maybe-run-git-gc' is called appears to me
>> "unpredictable".  But anyway. :-)
>
> Sure, but the way I see it, that’s the nature of caches.

What makes cache unpredictable is their current state.  However, this
does not imply that *all* the actions modifying from one state to
another must also be triggered in unpredictable moment.

For instance, I choose when I wash family’s clothes and the wash-machine
does not start by itself when the unpredictable stack of family’s dirty
clothes is enough.  Because, maybe today it’s rainy so drying is
difficult and tomorrow will be sunny so it will be a better moment. :-)

For me, “guix gc” should be the driver for cleaning all the various Guix
caches.  Anyway. :-D