Subject: Re: bug#6665: rgrep does not work on Windows

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:08:32 +0100

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Colin Fraizer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On July 19, 2010, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>>>I think this bug report should be closed, as it is not something Emacs
>> can fix.
>>
>> I believe Mr. Zaretskii is correct that Emacs is not the cause of the
>> problem. It appears to be a bug in the GnuWin32 and/or MSys port of
>> "find". *However*, I would argue that rgrep constructs a bogus find
>> command anyway and that *that* should be fixed. Specifically, it
>> creates
>
> We discussed some time ago the possibility to use "grep -r" for rgrep.
> It was rejected, but I have implemented this in the library w32-grep
> which is part of my patched Emacs (i.e. EmacsW32).
FYI i have fixed in anything the use of grep with the Gnuwin32 version
of grep.(See anything-config.el)

So it work now both in GNU/Linux and windows.

It is recursive by default like grep -r or -d recurse.

By the nature of the implementation of grep in anything, you
can select quickly a set of files/dirs not only in current directory but
anywhere in your system files, with the use of wildcard or not.
That increase the performance because you can search exactly in what you
want.

It is usable without knowledge of grep command (just write in the prompt
what you search for).

Of course, it is incremental unlike the vanilla emacs grep.
With that i don't feel the need of grep/find.

You can access it at anytime from f5 a C-x C-f (aka M-x anything-find-files)
or with M-x anything-do-grep (f5 a M-g s).

-- 
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997