Subject: bug#6665: 24.0.50; rgrep does not work on Windows

From: Christoph <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:00:16 -0600

On 7/18/2010 11:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> rgrep does not work on Windows.
>
> Actually, it does; you just don't like the results ;-)

You know, I saw the title in the bug tracker and wondered if someone 
would pick on that. ;)

>> In *scratch* buffer evaluate the following to point to GNU find and grep executables:
>> (setq find-program "\"C:/Program Files (x86)/GnuWin32/bin/find.exe\"")
>> (setq grep-program "\"C:/Program Files (x86)/GnuWin32/bin/grep.exe\"")
>
> Why do you need these?  Doesn't Emacs find them?

No. I usually append the directory of the executables to PATH and set 
the exec path accordingly in my .emacs. This is more portable than 
adding it to the path permanently on every computer. The setqs above 
were just to make it work with `emacs -Q'.

I need GNU find because otherwise Windows find complains about incorrect 
parameter format (maybe a separate issue?).

> If you paste all this long command line to the shell window, does the
> program work then?  (You may need to mirror the slashes for that.)

No. I pasted it into cmd.exe and it gives the exact same error.

> Also, does the problem go away if you replace "(" with "-(" and ")"
> with "-)"?

Same result.

> Does the problem go away if you copy the two programs to a directory
> whose name does not include blanks and parentheses, and invoke them
> from there?

No. The spaces are not the problem. I enclosed the path in quotes so it 
finds the correct executable at this path (I omitted the quotes before 
and it would only find C:\Program).

Christoph