Subject: Re: bug#66647: Installation of RPMs produced by ‘guix pack’ is super slow

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:43:13 -0500

Hi,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Inria’s folks, :-)
>
> On Sat, 02 Dec 2023 at 18:13, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I'd rather we try it with a few more software such as 'dnf' to narrow it
>> down to just 'yum', or some other issues in our Guix-generated RPM.
>
> have you tried with ’dnf’?  Is it similarly slow as ’yum’?

I've tried it myself, and it was fast.  yum is an alias that invokes dnf
even on an old obsolete Fedora 37 VM I had available.

We could mention that other package managers than yum should be
preferred in a "@quotation Note", due to a performance problem when
handling modern RPMs as those made by Guix; or we could close this and
wait for yum to have become completely irrelevant (which seems like in a
year or so, last I checked the RHEL end-of-life dates).

Is someone volunteering to add the note?  Or should we close this?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim