Subject: Re: bug#66647: Installation of RPMs produced by ‘guix pack’ is super slow

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 14:31:20 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 at 15:22, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Maxim, should we explicitly recommend ‘rpm -i’ in the manual?

I propose something like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
1 file changed, 8 insertions(+)
doc/guix.texi | 8 ++++++++

modified   doc/guix.texi
@@ -7299,6 +7299,14 @@ Invoking guix pack
 sudo rpm --install --prefix=/opt /gnu/store/...-hello.rpm
 @end example
 
+@quotation Warning
+Rely on @command{rpm --install} for installing an RPM archive and avoid
+@command{yum install} or related.  The generated RPM archive will
+install faster when using @command{rpm} than when using @command{yum}.
+The performances of @command{yum} when installing generated RPM archive
+could be detrimental compared to installing using @command{rpm} tool.
+@end quotation
+
 @quotation Note
 Contrary to Debian packages, conflicting but @emph{identical} files in
 RPM packages can be installed simultaneously, which means multiple
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon