Subject: [bug#66618] [PATCH] etc: gitconfig: Remove the default email address to avoid mistakes.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:31:05 +0200

Hi Clément,

On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 22:11, Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm sure it provides value for you but I don't think it does for others:
> all I see is that it provides confusion.
>
> We want a software, and tools, that are simple to use and to understand.
> Please don't add too much things that are hard to maintain, hard to
> understand, and with unexpected defaults.

Although I tend to agree with the weak value of ’sendemail.to’ – until
now, I have not seen what it brings, I think you are overemphasizing the
issue here. :-)

At worst, a misuse leads to open many new bug numbers.  Future will say
if this adds more burden than help.  On average, it should simplify the
workflow and free some cognitive overhead; that’s the idea.

Somehow, the misguided use-case you initially reported is a specific
case.  The bet is: these specific cases are by a very large order of
magnitude less than the day-to-day cases, and thus we can deal with
specific cases when they happen and it reduces the overhead for most.

Cheers,
simon