Subject: [bug#66618] [PATCH] etc: gitconfig: Remove the default email address to avoid mistakes.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:44:39 -0400

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 at 21:54, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> One could argue it's also a misleading documentation.  It should say if
>> a 'to' address is not specified *or* configured.  
>
> Well, personally I prefer: « Explicit is better than implicit. » and
> « Errors should never pass silently.  Unless explicitly silenced. ».
>
> Here, the default
>
>      [sendemail]
>             to = [email-masked]
>
> makes something implicit – which is not necessary bad – but it hides
> potential errors – which is not good.

But that's true for any automation of git.  If we follow that logic we
can remove the other git configurations because they may be surprising,
and the send-email hook that notifies people, because that can again be
surprising.

Obviously, I'd rather not go that slope.  The small cost in surprise is
offset by removing manual work for myself and I'd expect/hope other
committers.  Does that make sense?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim