Subject: bug#66614: 29.1.50; Support not capitalizing words inside symbols

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 18:54:55 +0800

Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> writes:

> +  DEFVAR_BOOL ("case-symbols-as-words", case_symbols_as_words,
> +	       doc: /* If non-nil, case functions treat symbol syntax as part of words.
> +
> +Functions such as `upcase-initials' and `replace-match' check or modify
> +the case pattern of sequences of characters.  Normally, these operate on
> +sequences of characters whose syntax is word constituent.  If this
> +variable is non-nil, then they operate on sequences of characters whose
> +syntax is either word constituent or symbol constituent.
> +
> +This is useful for programming languages and styles where only the first
> +letter of a symbol's name is ever capitalized.*/);
> +  case_symbols_as_words = 0;

Incidentally:

Let's not introduce further instances of the anti-pattern where the
``doc:'' marker in DEFVAR constructs is aligned with its opening paren,
rather than two columns into the word DEFVAR itself.  Generally, this
deprives you of latitude for the first line of the doc string, for you
are either compelled to contravene the 80 column limit or to render that
line exceptionally laconic, both of which are ultimately
counterproductive.

TIA.