Subject: Re: bug#66604: [PATCH] Gud LLDB completions

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:35:47 +0200

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

> There's one annoyance though. Normally, lldb shows frame information as
>
>     frame #0: 0x000000010182f09c emacs`redisplay_internal at xdisp.c:16687:8 [opt]
>
> but now we get the less informative and much less readable
>
>     gud-info: (gud-lldb-stop :file ////Users/mattias/emacs/src/xdisp.c/// :line 16687 :column 8)
>
> Surely we can have it both ways -- keep the standard frame-format and
> append some machine-readable stuff on a separate line which is then
> removed in the filter function so that the user doesn't need to see
> it?

That would also be my preference, but I haven't found out how to do it.

The idea would have been to append the Gud format to frame-format, so
that the possibly user-defined frame-format stays visible. I found the
output of "settings show frame-format" too difficult to parse in the
general case, and LLDB's Python API didn't give me a clue how to get at
the value of frame-format so that I could perhaps produce something
that's easier to handle.

So, that's an area for improvement.

Another area for improvement is possibly remote debugging, BTW. I can't
get remote debugging to work between two macs, so I don't know how LLDB
behaves when debugging remotely.