Subject: bug#66598: Missing options from emacsclient man page

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:35:05 +0200

Peter Oliver <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Peter,

>> And perhaps we could also add an ENVIRONMENT section.
>
> Attached is a patch to do that.

Thanks for this. Eli gave you already comments, so here are just my
additional ones.

>  .B \-T, \-\-tramp-prefix=PREFIX
>  Set PREFIX to add to filenames for Emacs to locate files on remote
>  machines using TRAMP.  This is mostly useful in combination with using
> -the Emacs server over TCP with --server-file.  This can also be
> -specified via the EMACSCLIENT_TRAMP environment variable.
> +the Emacs server on a remote host (either using TCP with
> +--server-file, or a socket forwarded over SSH).  This takes precedence
> +over the EMACSCLIENT_TRAMP environment variable.

I'm not sure whether we shall mention here the alternative "socket
forwarded over SSH". This is indeed the only existing alternative for
the --server-file option in Emacs 29, but I have rough plans to offer
also network processes in Tramp, which would add more flexibility, and
less configuration need for users. But this is in an early phase of
thinking only ATM.

So perhaps it is OK to mention "socket forwarded over SSH" here in Emacs 29.

> +.SH ENVIRONMENT
> +.TP
> +.B ALTERNATE_EDITOR
> +.TP
> +.B EMACSCLIENT_TRAMP
> +.TP
> +.B EMACS_SERVER_FILE
> +.TP
> +.B EMACS_SOCKET_NAME

Reading emacsclient.c, there are also further environment variables:

XDG_CONFIG_HOME
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

I'm undecided whether we shall mention them. Eli?

> Peter Oliver

Best regards, Michael.