Subject: bug#66577: closed (Re: [bug#66577] [PATCH 0/4] Newcomer-oriented improvements to the manual and cookbook)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:13:01 +0000

Your bug report

#66577: [PATCH 0/4] Newcomer-oriented improvements to the manual and cookbook

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
66577: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=66577
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#66577] [PATCH 0/4] Newcomer-oriented improvements to the manual and cookbook
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>, Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:12:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

Pushed as 216f8ffff49c54ad56209c4fd6528f2d80ee8fed with the change Simon
suggested.  Thank you Mathieu and Simon for your feedback!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Newcomer-oriented improvements to the manual and cookbook
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:36:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

These patches reorganize things a bit in the manual to make important
things more easily findable to newcomers, and adds a word of caution
regarding the section on multiple profiles in the cookbook (I’ve seen
newcomers attempt to adopt that software management style on their
systems, when it’s complex and in fact largely unnecessary since the
addition of a fast cache in ‘guix shell’).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (4):
  doc: Move “System Troubleshooting Tips” below.
  doc: Mention Guix Home in “Getting Started”.
  doc: cookbook: Suggest ‘guix shell’ as an alternative to multiple
    profiles.
  doc: cookbook: Add cross references to the manual regarding manifests.

 doc/guix-cookbook.texi |  51 ++++----
 doc/guix.texi          | 257 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 2 files changed, 152 insertions(+), 156 deletions(-)

base-commit: a0d2ecde943bd1854ddbb7c0cad35a1fc64dc5ab
-- 
2.41.0