Subject: Re: [bug#66577] [PATCH 2/4] doc: Mention Guix Home in“Getting Started”.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:53:23 +0200

Hi,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 at 14:43, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>  @quotation Going further
>>  @xref{Package Management}, for more about package management.  You may
>>  like @dfn{declarative} package management with @command{guix package
>> ---manifest}, managing separate @dfn{profiles} with @option{--profile},
>> +--manifest},
>>  deleting old generations, collecting garbage, and other nifty features
>>  that will come in handy as you become more familiar with Guix.  If you
>>  are a developer, @pxref{Development} for additional tools.  And if
>>  you're curious, @pxref{Features}, to peek under the hood.
>
> It is part of “Going further”, so I would let « managing separate
> @dfn{profiles} with @option{--profile} ».  For what it is worth, I
> recommend for some newcomer to still use a separated profile inside the
> project folder, just aside the files manifest.scm and channels.scm.

Yeah, I thought about concision and ‘--profile’ seemed less important
than “deleting old generations” etc.

Also, caching in ‘guix shell’ was designed to automate what one would do
manually with ‘-p’: registering the GC root, cleaning things up that are
unused.  The goal was to provide a simpler interface, which ideally also
means simpler onboarding.

Anyway, no strong opinion, so I’ve re-added the “managing separate
profiles” bit.

Thanks,
Ludo’.