Subject: [bug#66577] [PATCH 2/4] doc: Mention Guix Home in “Getting Started”.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 18:19:23 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 at 14:43, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  @quotation Going further
>  @xref{Package Management}, for more about package management.  You may
>  like @dfn{declarative} package management with @command{guix package
> ---manifest}, managing separate @dfn{profiles} with @option{--profile},
> +--manifest},
>  deleting old generations, collecting garbage, and other nifty features
>  that will come in handy as you become more familiar with Guix.  If you
>  are a developer, @pxref{Development} for additional tools.  And if
>  you're curious, @pxref{Features}, to peek under the hood.

It is part of “Going further”, so I would let « managing separate
@dfn{profiles} with @option{--profile} ».  For what it is worth, I
recommend for some newcomer to still use a separated profile inside the
project folder, just aside the files manifest.scm and channels.scm.

I agree that “guix shell” is really cool now, but all the balance is the
duration of the project with the cache cleanup.

Well, this mention does not bother, IMHO, and it invites to know more
for the interested reader since it is “Going further”…

> +You can also manage the configuration of your entire @dfn{home
> +environment}---your user ``dot files'', services, and packages---using
> +Guix Home.  @xref{Home Configuration}, to learn more about it!
>  @end quotation

…I mean, similarly, Guix Home is not something I recommend for
newcomers.  But it is good to mention it in “Going further”. :-)

Cheers,
simon