Subject: [bug#66576] Request for merging "rust-team" branch

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:41:11 -0400

Hi Efraim,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

> IMO rust-team branch is ready to merge. We've updated rust to 1.70,
> librsvg to 2.56.4 and many new and updated packages. We've added a phase
> to the cargo-build-system to fail if it detects pre-built files and
> we've set the cargo-build-system to skip the test phase by default,
> allowing us to make sure that the packages have the correct inputs. With
> these changes I've gotten 100% of the packages built using the
> cargo-build-system to build successfully.

This sounds good except I don't understand how disabling the tests by
default help to "make sure that the packages have the correct inputs" ?

You've explained the rationale here:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-10/msg00182.html>,
saying we sometimes use a newer Rust than the package tests are
expecting; how does it work in the Rust world?  Don't they always build
even older versions against the most recent compiler?  What about the
test suites then?  Are these not typically run by users/distributions?

For one thing the 'guix lint' command would need to be told that
cargo-build-system has #:tests? set to #f by default to not warn without
reasons that '#:tests? #t' is unnecessary.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim