Subject: Re: bug#66576: Request for merging "rust-team" branch

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 12:57:37 -0400

Hi Efraim,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 11:41:11AM -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> Hi Efraim,
>> 
>> Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > IMO rust-team branch is ready to merge. We've updated rust to 1.70,
>> > librsvg to 2.56.4 and many new and updated packages. We've added a phase
>> > to the cargo-build-system to fail if it detects pre-built files and
>> > we've set the cargo-build-system to skip the test phase by default,
>> > allowing us to make sure that the packages have the correct inputs. With
>> > these changes I've gotten 100% of the packages built using the
>> > cargo-build-system to build successfully.
>> 
>> This sounds good except I don't understand how disabling the tests by
>> default help to "make sure that the packages have the correct inputs" ?
>> 
>> You've explained the rationale here:
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-10/msg00182.html>,
>> saying we sometimes use a newer Rust than the package tests are
>> expecting; how does it work in the Rust world?  Don't they always build
>> even older versions against the most recent compiler?  What about the
>> test suites then?  Are these not typically run by users/distributions?
>
> I've copied your questions to the thread above and answered them there
> so we can keep the discussion in one place.

OK!

>> For one thing the 'guix lint' command would need to be told that
>> cargo-build-system has #:tests? set to #f by default to not warn without
>> reasons that '#:tests? #t' is unnecessary.
>
> I've reverted it for now so we can get the rust-team branch merged and
> continue discussing if this is a good idea or not.

OK, thanks for giving it some extra time.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim